5.07.2014

"The Things You Should Know" - a letter to Impact Team 2014

As we’re accepting applications for Impact Team 2014…..

I’m incredibly excited and expectant to see who God brings to this team! He knows you intimately, He loves you completely, He is planting a caring interest on your heart in this very moment that is guiding and calling you in truth. His team.
We’ll come together and be known as “Impact Team 2014” (with t-shirts to prove it!) We’ll become so much more than a group of individuals who share an *amazing* life experience….. We will become the body of Christ for this trip, the bridegroom that is His church, the ministers of His mission.
And for those of you asking, “is this for me?” and “so what’s it like?” – let me share with you a few of my thoughts and experiences. All for your greater consideration as you pray into the possibility of joining this year’s Impact Team. All for God’s glory.

His Calling

Ethiopia 2013 was my first mission trip. I literally took a leap of faith along with my “yes”. I didn’t know how I would carve out the time, I didn’t know how I would pay for it, and yet I knew God was calling me to go. He resolved my doubts along the way. When I stepped away, He brought me back. When I leaned in, He affirmed. The night following our initial meeting (still contemplating) I woke with a bible verse on my heart:  
“And we all know that in all things God works for the good of those who love
 him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew 
he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn 
among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; 
those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.”  [Romans 8:28-30]
And that became my “leap of faith” moment. I was at peace in knowing that my decision aligned with His plan. And God took care of the details…   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UveOPq_iao

The Journey

Preparing for my mission experience became the catalyst for a profound new depth in my relationship with Christ, one that continues today. My spirit was renewed with a truth called “worthy”, and upon this healing I was able to receive the unconditional and personal love of Jesus – given freely, uniquely, and divinely – just for me. Because ultimately that’s our preparation: connecting genuinely with the Christ in each of us so we can be His love to others.
“We love because He first loved us.”  [1 John 4:19]
Praying blessings and anointing ~
My sponsored son, Dawit and his Auntie Hirut

The Trip

My memories of the trip are a kaleidoscope of indescribable moments and life-experiences – far beyond what blog posts, journal entries or photos can relay. So I’ll strive to target my reflections towards “the things you should know” as you’re contemplating being a member of our 2014 Impact Team.
** God has a glorious plan for Ethiopia – witnessed as ‘an anointing in that region’, manifested as a passionate movement of Christianity, and upheld through our compassionate walk of service and love. This isn’t an evangelistic trip (God already has that covered!) We simply walk with Jesus and the people of Ethiopia to bring the Kingdom….. together.
** Hosanna! has established a long-term partnership with the town of Hosanna, Ethiopia. A model of change is being implemented in their community – a model that’s progressing and succeeding because the ultimate ownership is by the leaders and people who live there. We’re part of something that is so much bigger than what any single mission trip can accomplish. Our consistent presence there facilitates progress, affirms and validates collaborative trust in God’s plan, and it re-energizes enthusiasm for God’s work among us.
** I’m a big believer in ‘daily missions’ – a person doesn’t need to travel to the other side of the world to be the love of Christ to others. Yet there’s something about stepping completely outside of our daily lives with a heart of service that opens our eyes to see Him in new ways. It’s through the purest emptying of ‘self’ that we are opened to receive God – filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit for ministering to His people.

** I have so much respect for our leaders and their passion for this ministry. They exemplified discipleship in how they planned, guided, and walked with us throughout the entire journey: God-honoring; Christ-centered; Spirit-led. All for His glory.

** The people of Hosanna love Jesus and are hungry in their faith ~ ministering to them was such a welcoming and rewarding experience! Their culture is affectionate by nature, so we shared many hugs and cheek-kisses, and truly connected with each other through loving kindness. And they’re passionate in worship. I felt incredible spiritual presence through our joining of prayer and worship. Together we elevated in one common ‘language’ of giving praise to our King!

** I went into the trip with the purest intent and desire to serve, yet this pales in comparison to how much I received in return. “Pouring into” others with our love and faith goes both ways. Exponentially.
** And at times it was challenging for me on a personal level; I definitely felt my areas of insecurity…. God breaks us so that he can re-build us, for it is in our weakness that we learn how much we need Him. We turn to Him, we humble ourselves, and He lifts us up – healed, restored, equipped and commissioned – to His greater purpose in our lives. Awesome and glorious. God.
** During our 2013 trip we received several touch-points of a common and hope-filled theme of progress. Words of “breakthrough”; comments indicating “this is just the beginning” – messaged consistently through many and varied sources. It’s an important time of momentum in Hosanna. Impact Team 2014 is championed to perpetuate this optimism and expectancy!  The plan is good!

And the Journey Continues….

God perfectly designed and formed our 2013 team – people who were at different places in their faith journeys; each member with unique purpose and spiritual gifting(s). God also had a plan for what each of us would “bring home.” We walked away from our shared experience in Hosanna, Ethiopia with very different reflections and personal impacts. Yet every one of us humbly acknowledges and passionately proclaims a testimony of the same 3 words….
“I am changed.” 
I have every confidence that God is assembling another amazing team for the 2014 Impact mission – people with diverse backgrounds, purposes, and giftings. 
And I’m *so excited* to meet you!!!
All Glory is His!
~ Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment